Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A tough 2 weeks.

Well I am in Seattle with my husband! While it is nice to be here it certainly hasn't helped me stay on track with my goals. So far I have had struggles both on the exercise and eating fronts.Let me explain.

Kubota Garden in Seattle
 When I was packing to come I brought three workout videos. Turbo Jam, Punch Kick and Jam, and Slim in Six. I also brought my 3 lb. weights. My plan was to work out in the hotel room with my videos. I thought I was pretty safe, because even if there wasn't room in the room there would be the hotel work out room where I could do cardio.

  The first day I moved the furniture in the hotel room and took a long look. I decided while I did not have enough room for Turbo Jam, I definitely had enough for Slim in 6. I decided I could do Slim in 6 and then go downstairs and run on the treadmill. So I popped in the DVD and started with the easiest section (Start it up). I decided it was pretty easy so I used my weights. Big mistake! I didn't think about it very well though, and I felt good when I finished, so I was excited. I then went downstairs and walked/ran for an hour. The treadmill is really nice and adjusts speed and the incline as you walk/run. My calves and glutes worked hard since I just randomly chose a 400 calorie burn work out and the program mostly relied on increasing the incline to make the goal. So basically now I had done some pretty tough strength training on my lower body and then added a pretty good amount of strain on the same muscles doing my cardio.

A very interesting, swirled tree top
  The next morning I woke up so sore it was hard to get out of bed. Sitting down was hard, let alone walking up and down stairs or walking more than 2 mph. Honestly I couldn't even lower myself to sit on the toilet...yeah. After drinking water and doing some stretching I decided I needed to go walk on the treadmill and get my muscles loosened up some more. I took it easy and after that I was more comfortable. The next day I was about the same when I woke up. My husband and I decided to go to the zoo, and soon I was noticeably limping. Poor hubby had to be at work at 2:00 so we only saw about half the Zoo because I was so slow. Sigh. The next day we went on a pretty much all uphill hike with one of our friends. It was hard,  and I felt bad that I was so out of shape and slow. Ugghh.

  The rest of the week I progressively improved. I didn't get on the treadmill or work out to my videos. Instead I went to a couple of parks and spent several hours hiking, walking, and taking pictures. By this week I was back on track. I got on the treadmill and did my strength work out yesterday. This time I took it easy and did not use my weights. I have decided that I will use the next couple of weeks to slowly work up.

One of the quiet ponds in the garden
Happily my legs are already feeling stronger, and I don't mean they feel less sore, they actually seem to have more definition and strength. Yay! I'm sure it is a minor change or just an increased perception of what is already there, but still I am excited!

  As far as food goes...umm. Yeah. I have had beer with many a dinner, and last week I think I might have eaten a couple of veggie servings. I have been eating fruit...but lots of cabs and protein and fat mostly. This week I finally began craving veggies. I have been eating a lot of salad, much better than pizza, burgers, and sandwiches. I don't feel I have gained weight, but honestly I haven't weighed myself in about a month, so I will have to do it when I get home, and I am sure I will be very depressed. SIGH.

I wonder what kind of flower this is?
  Anyways, that's how I have been doing. I'm sorry I haven't posted recently, but hopefully I will be getting back to a more regular schedule soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment